I am going to a Family First Aid and Emergency Preparedness class (or something like that) tonight. I'm a little nervous because I don't venture out into the public much these days. Just making a phone call to an unknown person puts me in a bit of a panic so walking into a whole room-ful of strangers is really starting to get me worked up.
Thing is, I can't admit this to anyone, especially not my daughter. You see, she's going to a "Cooking with Kids" class on Friday (no, they aren't using kids in the cooking, just teaching kids to cook...I think. I hope...maybe I should look into that). Anyway, she is nervous about going and she keeps asking me if I'm nervous. I keep telling her that it will be just fine, she'll do great, I'm sure there will be someone she knows, etc. But I don't know that. I don't have a clue who will be there. And I'm not even going to be able to take her! My sister is going to drop her off.
So now I'm nervous for my daughter - which at least distracts me from being nervous for myself...for a few minutes anyway.
Emergency Preparedness? I hope they teach you what to do if zombies or llhamas attack.
ReplyDeleteWell, not zombies and llamas, but what to have around for emergencies like floods, earthquakes and tsunamis. I am not nearly as prepared as I thought I was. Thing is, I really have started the preparations, I have two boxes of MREs in the basement, that should count for something. But I don't have any water stashed. And I don't have a first aid kit in my car. And I don't have all my important documents in a water-proof safe. Oh and it should probably be fire-proof too. I guess I should add zombie proof to that list....
ReplyDeleteI have a non electric can opener. That's all I have to prepare for an emergency. So look on the bright side! You are doing way better than I am.
ReplyDeleteCooking with Kids? Maybe they're worried about being stranded on a deserted gravel island with no vegetation and radioactive fish? That sounds like a super way to prepare!
ReplyDeleteI think *J*'s class sounds incredibly practical. I mean, llamas could attack at any moment. Realistically, what are the chances of a tsunami? The class should also include something on what to do when the spiders wage their war, although it may not be necessary, as I'm certain I'm the only one they're waging war on. Still, better safe than sorry in this case.
Also, you're both more prepared than I am. I lost my can opener months ago and have taken to opening my cans by stabbing them with a steak knife. In my defense, we don't eat a lot of canned goods. I do have a flashlight, but whether or not it works depends on my ability to find my vibrator and retrieve the batteries in the midst of the emergency. On the bright side, we do have a tent and it's set up in my bedroom. Does that count as a victory?
The tent is a victory! And as far as tsunami? Yeah, more likely here than anywhere else. In 1964 when the big earthquake and tsunami hit here it whiped out a good part of the town. We have a tsunami warning system that gets tested every month. It's loud, it's obnoxious, but if a tsunami ever came, I'd be so thankful for it!
ReplyDeleteYeah, cooking with kids...what to do when you're stuck on an island... :)