Monday, February 21, 2011

Mountain out of a Molehill

Going to the doctor is a huge undertaking. But going to the doctor in someone's house - sweet! I pull up in my tiny car and as my children spill out of it, I introduce them to this family from the past. We'll call them the Hamptons. Ma Hampton hugs me tight, reintroduces me to Sandy and her kids. They usher me inside where Pa Hampton is now a doctor. I see and hug Sadie and Sherry, commiserating on how well we know each other because of facebook, even though we haven't seen each other in almost 20 years. Isn't facebook wonderful?

But then it's exam time - I'm thrown into the midst of questioning right in the middle of the lobby - people everywhere! I pull out my medical journal and try to write as fast as they hurl theories at my like baseballs. I'm not fast enough, I'm missing some of the possible diagonises (diagnoses?) They talk so fast, there are two of them, brothers, and they can't agree on what's wrong with me.

Sherry Hampton - a grown woman - begins to whine to her mother about things. I don't really know what she's complaining of, but I know that she is hormonal. She storms off and I turn to Sadie and Sandy and quip "What? Is she expecting?" They gasp and remind me that she was due to have a newborn right now but she had lost it. And then they scold me because I should have known that from facebook. I remind them that they don't remember everything about me so why should I remember everything about them?

I try to get the doctor to look at what the actual problem is even though it's personal so he can diagnos me better. He insists he is out of time, but his daughters will look. Sandy has left for the day so Sadie and Sherry take me into the bathroom to check it out. I'm self-concious about it, but really I just want to know what's wrong!

I come out of the bathroom and run into another woman, one I've never met. She introduces herself as Sandy 2.0. "Oh, you're Jed's wife?" She agrees, then she begins to talk about how much she and I have in common. She talks of her husband the chef and his great restaurant right down the road. The husband and I had never been to that restaurant so I checked out the menu she carried with her. The food was a bit fancy and pricey for me, but it sounded nice enough so I told her we'd go that night. She giggled and was excited because she was taking her kids there that night as well and we could just hang out!

I go out the car and realize that my kids have been sitting in the car waiting for me this whole time! What a horrible mother I am! And the car was off, but the heat was running and the front window was fogged up. I didn't take time to clear the window and just began to drive. Sandy 2.0 almost backed into me as I pulled out into the parking lot to get to the road. I remember turning onto the road even though I couldn't see out the window.

And then I woke up. Whew, I'm not the worst mother ever....

2 comments:

  1. Anytime you start thinking you're the worst mother ever, just think of me. That should help! I also wonder if this dream was brought on by a certain molehill on a mountain... (Sorry, it was begging to be said! Plus, I'm worried about you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Yeah, I think it was because in my dream that was my problem...but I didn't consider the title and the entrendre there, very nice...

    ReplyDelete