The plane ride in is uneventful except that I left my book on the plane - a bit disappointed but perhaps it will stilll be there on my way home that night. I arrive in a new town with a new job - working at a pet store/daycare/massage parlor. I'm appalled by the amount of animals - I really don't do well with dealing with animals. Kind of makes me question the merits of taking this job. But it's lunchtime and time to feed the children so not much time to think about it. While we're all sitting at a picnic style table, I notice the new fish tank full of beautiful fish. I point them out to the children and they ooh and ahh in appreciation of them.
But then one guy asks if I've seen the newest arrival and points to a small tank housing a rather large monster? It must be a monster for I have never seen anything so ugly, so ferocious, so growly. He reaches in the tank to pull it out as we shriek in horror. Well, I mostly shriek in horror and stand up on the bench. I can't stand the thought of being so close. He puts the creature down and it comes after me! It tugs on my skirt as I try desperately to get away from it. I manage to kick it but still it continues to hunt me. I'm so angry and upset at this point. Someone (my husband?) pulls me to safety and holds me as I bawl.
Back in the airport, I only have 30 minutes before boarding but I'm still stuck in a different terminal trying to determine where I'm supposed to go. Was it Continental or United Airlines? I overhear an employee ask for someone to take a guy to the United Airline terminal. I eagerly let her know I'm headed that way, I think. I pull out my boarding passes and realize that it's actually Continental I need, but I still insist I can take him. The man is angry and doesn't trust me to get him there. I pull the odd-looking wheelchair off the shelf and manage to get him in the chair. Suddenly three of my children are with me and we're rushing through the extremely narrow hallways of the airport. I manage to make it without incident to the hardest part - the long push up the wooden boardwalk that is at about a 50 degree angle. It seems impossible but I just keep on pushing. I must have made it although I blacked out the rest of that memory. I drop him off and head for my own gate. More winding narrow passages, this time with restaurants all around. I hear a bell ring and some men dressed up begin to parade down the hall with the most amazing food on beautiful platters. It was a wedding reception they were rushing to. I stared at the food going past, realizing I am starving. I also realize I only have 5 minutes left to get to my gate.
I rush around the corner and another man approaches me and asks me if I noticed the Olive Garden in the airport. Olive Garden???? I'm angry and frustrated that I have no time left and only a dollar in my pocket. Perhaps if I pass by it on my way to my gate they will let me buy a breadstick for a dollar and I'll at least have that. I begin runing at this point, my children no longer with me, past all these other restaurants that are attempting to get me to stop and sample their wares. I especially remember the yogurt fruit lady. She thought she was a genius because she dipped fruit in yogurt. I finally find the Olive Garden, two of them in fact side by side and there sits my sister enjoying her salad and breadsticks.
I'm disappointed this morning in missing out on Olive Garden although I am thankful to not have to fly again.
No comments:
Post a Comment