Saturday, January 22, 2011

Always Cold

Cold, very cold, always cold. Standing in the pier in the harbor, watching crazy people jump into the 33 degree harbor water. Crazy people in crazy costumes - crayons and popsicles and 8 balls and pirates and 80's girls and boobs. Yep, Polar Bear Jump time once again.

 I felt sorry for the poor fools who were jumping. And yet I also felt extreme respect! These people were willing to give up their dignity, their sanity and their warmth and for what? To raise money and awareness for cancer. And raise money they did! The team that I was there for raised over $5,000! I waiting in anticipation for their turn. I watched the business man jump, the boobs, the hawaii 5 0's belly flop in, one gal summersault into the water and a newlywed couple in their wedding attire take the plunge. Finally my feet were frozen and it was time. Cheering her on, my friend stood at the top of the step and counted it off for her team to jump. Splish, Splash, into the ocean they went!

I was inspired, I was in awe and I knew in that moment that I never ever wanted to jump in the bay in January!  Oh yes, this was my Saturday, this was my reality.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm so glad they raised all that money, but yeah, I don't think I'd want to do it, either.

    We have a polar bear jump here, too, although I don't think they raise money for anything. They just jump in frozen Lake Erie for fun or something. We go watch every year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So they just do it for fun? My husband would love it! He wants to do the jump, but hates the thought of asking someone for donations. Do they dress up in costumes as well?

    ReplyDelete