Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Too Much Tangled

I'm sitting at a table filled with guests from out of town - family members I hadn't seen in years - eating lovely food and waiting for the bride to open her gifts. (the groom was nowhere to be seen). One gift she picks up and open contains two pieces of a heart and she tries desperately to fit them together but they won't fit. She looks back and forth at her parents who are divorced and realizes that these are the halves of their marital heart and they truly will never be together again. This saddens her. I try to cheer her up asking if she'd opened my gift yet. She had, she said, and she liked it okay.

We were sectioned off in a small private area of the restaurant for the reception, but for some reason other people's children kept wandering around in our section, getting up in our faces, picking off our plates. Finally the servers decide it's time to get out the champagne and therefore these young kids can't be in there. They section off the room with rope and continue to serve.

Suddenly we're wandering around a mall-like indoor flea market of sorts. But the bride is no longer my cousin. She's a 16 year old I know. And she has long, straight white hair. And by long I mean her hair is all the way down to her feet. She and I are walking and talking when suddenly there is a vendor who takes donated hair. She goes up and asks what he would give for her hair and he promises she will be glad she gave. I stand in front of her, place my hands on her shoulders and tell her she doesn't have to do this. Her hair is beautiful and she should keep it if she wants it. She assures me that she wants it gone and so the man pulls out scissors and goes to cut it. I insist that I should be the "Eugene" here and cut it, but he won't let me. As her hair falls away, I'm shocked at how much was there. And then it's gone and instead of long, white, straight hair she has short, brown, frizzy hair. And she's devestated. And they only want to give her a bottle of "special shampoo" to compensate. I insist they should at least offer her dye job, but no, just shampoo. And then the groom comes in, furious at the man for cutting his bride's hair before their wedding night! He's so angry that she no longer has her long hair.

So now she has to get a job, but what is her talent? Oh, she can draw rings on fan art! Well then, she's hired! And at a pay rate of $75,000 a year! She's so ecstatic and so are we all. I go twirling through the restaurant, ito the mall, twirling with my hands high above my head. A middle aged woman decides I'm going to break something and decides to kick me out of the mall.

I wake up then realizing one thing - maybe I watch too much Tangled.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I had a movie dream last night, too, but I don't remember enough to say anything interesting about it.

    Man, I wish I could draw!

    Also, I'm apparently not logged in, and I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete