Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Did you ever wonder:

1. What the word "delete" meant 50 years ago?

2. Why we park in "driveways" and drive on "parkways"?

3. If Rapunzel really asked Eugene to marry her?

4. If God made kids so cute just so we wouldn't eat our offspring like other species?

5. When your Fairy Godmother would show up with your dress and glass slippers?

6. Who came up with the idea of "blogging"?

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Blog Tuesday!

    1. I don't know about 50 years ago, but here's a bit on the origins of the word "delete".

    "delete Look up delete at Dictionary.com
    late 15c., "destroy, eradicate," from L. deletus, pp. of delere "destroy, blot out, efface," from delevi, originally perf. tense of delinere "to daub, erase by smudging" (as of the wax on a writing table), from de- "from, away" (see de-) + linere "to smear, wipe" (see lime (1)). In English, specifically of written matter, from c.1600. Related: Deleted; deleting."

    More or less the same, I suppose.

    2. For years and years and years, I wondered why Donkey Kong was called "Donkey" Kong when he was a monkey. Then I found out and I was really sad. It sort of took away from the whole thing. So, I suggest not looking into this further.

    3. I could go the George route and be a total funsucker and get into all sorts of stuff about arranged marriage and how no one would have had a happy ending, but that's no fun. I say yes.

    4. You've never considered it? Seriously, if there's kids on that island, they're up for grabs, just like everyone else.

    5. Sort of. But I don't want a dress or glass slippers. I want a time machine, a dragon, a six core computer processor, a pirate ship, and/or a hidden residence no one knows about. With a butler! I'm not choosy, any of those things would do.

    6. No one knows for sure, but here's an interesting article! http://news.cnet.com/2100-1025_3-6168681.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're my intellectual hero. :)

    And I love all your answers...heading out to check out that article now. :)

    ReplyDelete